You're Not Alone

We're Here to Help

Suicide is a tragic reminder of how hard it is to be a human being. Admitting that we’re all vulnerable and learning to treat ourselves and others with compassion can help stop the epidemic.

Important Notice:

If you’re having suicidal thoughts its important you connect with crisis services immediately.

Crisis Line:

Suicidal Feelings

More than 800,000 people kill themselves around the world every year. People are more likely to die by suicide than in traffic accidents, animal attacks or murder. Suicide is a reminder of our extreme vulnerability and the trouble we have communicating ourselves to others.

According to OECD data, the causes of suicide are 45 percent due to brain chemistry imbalances. The remaining 55 percent are psychologically based due to broken hearts; financial or career failure; humiliation, shame, status and disgrace; and loss of hope, direction and despair. Unfortunately, suicide usually takes those of us left behind by surprise. We might have known someone was having issues, but we couldn’t have imagined the scale. This surprise is evidence that all of us are reluctant to give our emotional needs the attention they deserve, and that men are dealing with greater levels of distress than we’re ready to acknowledge.

Money and material things can’t fix our troubles. Instead, we need to get better at accepting failure, forgiving ourselves and others, and honouring ourselves rather than our achievements.

Suicide Indicators

Thinking about suicide might be a cursory thought for some guys compounded in times of extreme stress (custody battles, bereavement, serious illness), or a more common thought for men with depression. When these thoughts become more frequent, and/or when a definitive plan is created, it’s crucial to reach out for professional suicide prevention help. There are some distinct indicators that someone is considering suicide:

01 Behavioural

  • Getting life “in order”
  • Giving away possessions
  • Negative change in appearance
  • Substance abuse
  • Social isolation, withdrawal
  • Talking about suicide

02 Emotional

  • Depression
  • Overwhelming sadness
  • Hopelessness
  • Sudden calmness
  • Changes in personality
  • Unexpected rage

Load MoreShow Less

Feel. Better.

Feelings don't go away, so why not learn how to manage and resolve them better? It's called emotional intelligence, and it can improve your life immensely.

See How we can Help

Treating Suicidal Thoughts

Bad situations are temporary, depression is treatable, and the risk of suicide can be reduced with intervention. Whether you’re no longer able to care for yourself, or you’re thinking about hurting yourself, it’s vitally important to reach out for support. Our coaches and counsellors are trained in helping guys to overcome suicidal thoughts and help them make sense of their situation.

4 x

Men die by suicide four times more often than women.

- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

40-60 yrs

Men aged 40 to 60 have the highest number of suicides.

- Statistics Canada

2 x

In 2017 there were more than twice as many suicides in the US than there were murders.

- National Institute of Mental Health

80-90 %

80 to 90 percent of people who seek help for depression are treated successfully.

- TADS Study

Taking Action

I just needed a practical way of working through the problem. I didn’t want to be on the couch. I wanted to take action.

Andy, 48

Honest Talk

It’s a refreshing way of looking at myself. I’ve tried counselling before, but this is more honest. More objective. More real.

Kevin, 36

Making Progress

I still have a way to go, but I feel like I understand what’s getting in my way better. I haven’t been able to get that from talking before.

Xander, 32

Learn practical tools to improve your wellbeing and get more out of life.

Request a Callback

Feeling something you're not sure of?

Feelings and emotions are complicated. Let us help you untangle them so you can feel better.